If your gums are bleeding, visit our Huntington Beach dentist office to have your teeth examined. At Beach City Dental we can examine you and determine whether they are bleeding due to simple irritation or if there is a greater health concern. You can schedule an appointment with our 92647 office by calling (714) 898-2517. In the meantime, here is what you need to know about your gums.
Symptoms of Gum Disease that You Should Watch For
At Beach City Dental we encourage you to keep an eye on your gum health and call us if any of these signs persist for longer than a week:
- Bleeding gums
- Swollen gums
- Red or irritated gums
- Your teeth appear longer
If you notice any of these symptoms, the best thing to do is call a Huntington Beach dentist for an official diagnosis. Self-treating can lead to additional problems because you may not be addressing the actual cause of the problem. You can schedule an appointment with our office by calling (714) 898-2517.
Causes of Gum Disease
- Poor oral hygiene
- Plaque and tartar buildup underneath the gum tissue
- Some medications
Check out what others are saying about our oral health support services on Yelp: Why Are My Gums Bleeding? Huntington Beach.
How to Manage and Treat Gum Disease
There are several ways to prevent gum disease and the symptoms that arise from it. If you have already experienced symptoms of bleeding or swollen gums, following these steps will still help you, but it is wise to visit our Huntington Beach for an examination so that we can make customized treatment recommendations. In the meantime, you can manage your symptoms by doing the following:
- Brush and floss regularly. Remember to brush your teeth at least twice a day and when you do, use a soft or electric toothbrush. Make sure that you are brushing food away from your gums and towards the center of your mouth. This is important to prevent plaque buildup at your gum line. Flossing should be at least once per day and you must make sure to go all the way down along the sides of your teeth.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash. Another way to kill bacteria is to use an antiseptic mouthwash. This is an easy way to kill some of the bacteria that you have not been able to brush away and you may notice that your gums feel instantly better after using it.
- Have your teeth cleaned twice a year. At Beach City Dental we encourage you to visit our dental office twice per year so that we can clean your teeth, removing plaque and tartar that was left behind from your daily brushing. This is your best defense against gum disease or even some of the subtle symptoms like bleeding and swelling.
- Stop smoking. More than bad for your lungs, using tobacco products is also bad for your oral health. Not only can it lead to oral cancer but it also increases your risk for gum disease.
- Schedule a deep cleaning. If you already have gum disease we may recommend that you have a deep cleaning or root planing and scaling procedure. This allows the dentist to remove tartar and plaque that has built up underneath the gum tissue. The procedure is typically completed in two to four appointments but it works incredibly well for removing the cause of the problem.